Thursday, December 29, 2011

Where Can I Turn For Peace

I have learned that there are many hearts that are cold and indifferent.
I have also learned that there is so much contention and noise surrounding us one wonders,
"Where Can I Turn For Peace?"

 I was raised a Latter-Day Saint in a partial member home. 
My mom was faithful and true yet for reasons unknown to me for years my poppers showed no interest in the church.  I never grew up with Family Home Evening, Family Prayer or Family Scripture Study.
My poppers did not even hold the priesthood.
But the Lord was good in blessing us with faithful priesthood holders who watched over and loved us.
In Matthew the Lord shared the Sermon on the Mount and taught:


Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
Blessed are those that mourn for they shall be comforted
Blessed are the meek; for they shall inherit the earth
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness for they shall be filled
Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy
Blessed are the pure in heart; for they shall see God
Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God
Blessed are they which are persecuted for the righteousness sake; for theirs is the kingdom of heaven
Blessed are ye when men shall revile you and persecute you and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for my sake...Ye are the light of the world...

I love the first two blessed's.  I am surrounded by those who are poor in spirit and those that mourn. 
It brings great peace to my heart that the kingdom of heaven will be theirs and that they shall be comforted.  Even though at their darkest moments they do not see that promise being fulfilled.  

I for one in my dark moments hold tightly to those promises.
They are what help bring me back into the light of our Savior's love along with the love and support of great friends who have and share their priesthood with me.

I continually carry a prayer in my heart and find my mind reflecting on scriptures that have inspired and enlightened my mind.
I am so so grateful for the inspired leader's of the church.
 I find myself feasting on their words. 
All these bring me great peace when the darkness sets in.

I read the story of how the words to one of our hymns came to be, a mother had a daughter who battled with depression all of her life.  If I remember correctly the daughter gave into the depression and took her own life. 
It was during that dark time her mother penned the words, "Where Can I Turn for Peace."
I hope her words bring comfort and hope to those who are searching for their peace.

Where Can I Turn For Peace


Where can I turn for peace? Where is my solace
When other sources cease to make me whole?
When with a wounded heart, anger and malice


I draw myself apart, Searching my soul?
Where, when my aching grows, where, when I languish
Where, in my need to know, where can I run?
Where is the quiet hand to calm my anguish?
Who, who can understand? He, the only One.
He answers privately, Reaches my reaching
In my Gethsemane, Savior and Friend
Gentle the peace he finds for my beseeching
Constant He is kind, Love without end.



No comments:

Post a Comment