Monday, January 16, 2012

One by One

One of my favorite stories comes from The Book of Mormon.  It is found in 3rd Nephi where the risen Savior comes and visits the Nephites.  In Chapter 11 verses 13-17:

"And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto them saying:
Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side,
and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and feet,
that ye may know that I am the God of Israel,
and the God of the whole earth,
and have been slain
for the sins of the world.
And it came to pass that the multitude went forth,
and thrust their hands into his side, and did feel the prints of the nails
in his hands and in his feet; and this they did do,
going forth One by One until they had all gone forth
and did see with their eyes and did feel with their hands
and did know of a surety and did bear record,
that it was he, of whom it was written by the prophets,
that should come.
And when they had all gone forth and had witnessed for themselves,
they did cry out with one accord saying:
Hosanna! Blessed be the name of the most High God!
And they did fall down at the feet of Jesus,
and did worship him."




I recently heard a song by Hillary Weeks entitled, "One by One" which inspired this blog. 
Today was a Charlie Brown "Oh Good Grief" day.  As I was driving home from work thinking about the day this thought came into my mind, "You know those around you because you work with them; but there are many who don't know their names or even care about their names. 
But He does and He loves them." 
 Today with my patience on a very short leash I needed that gentle reminder. 

As I continued to reflect on His great compassion and love for all His creations I passed a shabbily dressed man with unkempt beard, dirty clothing and such a look of sadness filling his thin face.
I found myself wanting to turn around and offer him a cup of coffee or hot chocolate due to it was so cold outside and I could see him visibly shaking, but I was unable to. 
As sadness for this lonesome man filled my heart, I realized that this man was a classic example of " He hears one by one, loves one by one, when the crowded world around you doesn't know your name, He knows us one by one."
"He notices it all the when sparrow it falls, 
 the sheep within his fold, every person's grief was borne upon His soul, one at at time He makes us whole.
He hears one by one, loves one by one, when this crowded world around you doesn't know your name;
He know us one by one. 
The way he loves you is one by one." 


She states this one simple truth so beautifully. 
Like her I am amazed that He knows my name and loves me just as He loves that lonely man I passed today and all those who surrounds us.

No comments:

Post a Comment