Sunday, February 19, 2012

I Hope They Call Me On A Mission

When I was a young child in Primary I use to love the song, "I hope they call me on a mission, when I have grown a foot or two, by then I will be ready to preach and teach gospel the way that missionaries do."


Today a young woman who my mother was very fond of gave her mission farewell talk.  She was quite inspiring.  Just as I was impacted in primary with the song "I Hope They Call Me On a Mission;" she was impacted also in a different way.  She related that while sitting in primary and learning about eternal families and the love our Father in Heaven has for each and every one of his children she started proclaiming, "well whatta we doing sittin here! We should be out telling our friends and neighbors                      this important news!"  One of the Primary teachers turned and reproved her with, "Shhst!  That will come!"
And come it did.  This remarkable young lady is ready and willing to share the "good news" with all she comes in contact with.  At a young age, she had a missionary heart.  She will truly be an instrument in the hands of the Lord for doing much good.
Ever since I can remember I too wanted to serve a mission but due to the choices I have made I am serving a different type of mission.  Each and every day I am establishing friendships and laying the foundation so that one day when they are asked to hear a message, their hearts will be responsive and accepting. 
I have had the sweetest confirmation that many of those who journeyed with me for awhile have went on and have heard and accepted the good news of the gospel.  What great joy and peace that brings to ones soul.  There is no doubt in my mind this remarkable young woman will share that same joy and peace with those she will be journeying with.
I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the stripling young warriors.  Their example of faith is so inspiring, "wherefore they did not doubt...for their mothers had taught them."  One of the greatest blessings and legacies this young woman and I share, we were both taught by valiant and faithful mothers who also taught by example.  Of course I am being partial because I so loved my mother and my mother called this young woman's mother friend; but I know there are many mothers who are just as valiant and faithful when teaching their families and what a blessing they are.
She closed with the song about the armies of Helamen, I first heard the song on a Janice Cap Perry CD and instanly loved it but hearing her and her brother and sisters sings that beautiful song took it to a whole new level for me.  The Lord truly loves the songs of the heart.
May we all continue to be example and strive to be like the stripling warriors and this young woman in knowing in whom we can trust and continue to go forward with faith and be not afraid to teach by our example and to doubt not.  Because our mothers taught us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teje5eLa-9s&feature=player_detailpage

No comments:

Post a Comment