Saturday, February 25, 2012

More Savior Like Thee

I have always loved music.  I have been influenced by various types of music that either uplifted and edfied me or brought me down into the gutter.  All music spoke to my soul. 
Over the last few years I have been listening to various LDS artists and of course the Mormon Tabernacle choir; there is power in their words that truly calm my troubled soul.

 I can so relate when the Lord proclaimed to Sister Emma Smith, "For my soul delighth in the song of the heart; yea the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads."

I have always carried a "song in my heart."  As I have been reflecting, I have just come to discover what a neat blessing it has been for me that the "songs in my heart" speaks to me about the trials or adversity I am facing at that time.  It opens my heart to search deeper for the meaning of what my Heavenly Father is trying to teach me at that moment.

The last few weeks has been very trying.
 Just when I think I have overcome one trial another pops up in its place. 

Along with my music, I listen to a lot of speakers on CD.  Michael S Wilcox is one of my favorites but I have many more that have enlightend my mind and
 have inspired me in many ways. 

Today as I was driving home from work a talk Michael S Wilcox shared started running thru my mind. 
He was talking about being on the front lines of this great battle with his little sword of justice defending his own little turf when the Adversaries troops start flooding upon him and the Spirit whispers, "retreat, retreat, only for a little while and let me help you thru this battle." 

As I was scrolling thru my FB account to see if there was any interesting news, this quote posted from LDS Conference by Elder Neal A Maxell jumped out at me:

"...Let us expect that many will regard us indifferently,
others will see us as quaint or mislead.
  Let us bear the pointing of fingers
which ironically belong to those
       who being bored find the "great and Spaciour building"
 to be a stale and cramped  third class hotel.
Let us revile not the reviler and heed them not.
Instead let us use our energy to hold up the shield of faith
to quench the fiery darts aided by perhaps
a touch of spiritual teflon."

I loved his analogy of a "stale and cramped third class hotel." 
How I love Elder Maxwell.
But what got my attention was "to hold up the shield of faith to quench the fiery darts aided perhaps by a touch of spiritual teflon."  What a great visual for me. 
So as I am reading his words and chuckling at his description, the words to" More Holiness give me" starts  playin in my mind with "More Savior like thee" being replayed over and over.

 So as I'm trying to put two and two together another post from LDS Conference pops at out me. 

This time it was an excerpt from a talk Elder Jeffery R Holland gave in 2007 entitiled

"The Tongue of Angels" where a piece of his counsel is to become, "more Savior like thee."

A friend loaned me a book called "The Peacegiver."
 I just ordered my own copy it was so good.
 Its pages were filled with traits of our Savior. 

I also believe I was being reminded that I have had a touch of "spiritual teflon."
 As images started running through my mind of moments that were so tender and
uplifiting they cannot be shared.

I believe in those moments my Father was saying,
"retreat, retreat, for just a little while and I will help you fight this battle."

He has allowed me to be a part of some amazing moments each and every day "I Stand All Amazed."
As I was reading the words to that beautiful hymn, I'm finding that the words from last week's blessings are tying right in with this hymn.  Still not sure what He's trying to tell me but I know deep in my soul I am on the right track.

                                  More Holliness Give Me
More Holiness Give me,
More strivings within
More patience in suffering,
More sorrow for sin
More faith in my Savior,
More sense of his care
More joy in his service,
More purpose in prayer
More gratitude give me,
More trust in the Lord
More pride in his glory,
                                     More hope in his word
More tears for his sorrows, More pain at his grief
More meekness in trial, More praise for relief
More purity give me, More strength to o'ercome
More freedom from earth stains, More longing for home
More fit for the kingdom, More used would I be
                More blessed and holy, More Savior like thee.




No comments:

Post a Comment