Sunday, March 18, 2012

"I Love to See The Temple"

Men: 
Teach a child while in his youth. 
Teach a child how to love the truth, 
and the covenants and promises he makes 
will be a shield and protection through all his days. 

Children: 
I love to see the temple. 
I'm going there someday, 
to feel the Holy Spirit, 
to listen and to pray. 

For the temple is a house of God, 
a place of love and beauty. 
I'll prepare myself while I am young; 
this is my sacred duty. 

Men repeat their verse in counterpoint as the Children sing: 
I love to see the temple. 
I'll go inside someday. 
I'll covenant with my Father; 
I'll promise to obey. 

For the temple is a holy place 
where we are sealed together. 
As a child of God I've learned this truth: 
a family is forever.

As a young girl in Primary I remember singing,
"I love to see the temple, I'm going there someday, to covenant with my Father to listen and obey..."

I vividly remember as a young woman getting on a bus and being driven to Salt Lake where we the youth were taken to the Salt Lake Temple
 to do work for our kindred dead.
 It left such an impression on my young mind. 
The peace and beauty within those hallowed walls. 
I knew that one day I would return. 

It took me several long years but when
I decided to take out my own endowments
 I knew it would be the Salt Lake Temple.


My birthday 1997 was my chosen day and once again when I entered those hallowed doors I felt as if I had finally found my way back home.
 I could hear and feel my families excitement at me being there with them.
 It was a such a special day that I have prayed that I will never forget how I felt that wonderful day.
 It sealed my testimony that I had a Heavenly Father who knew my name, loved me
and had great things in store for me.

It has been 15 years since that remarkable experience but even now when I enter the hallowed doors of the Temple
 I am constantly assured that for a brief moment the winds and waves that have been battering me for a moment will be stilled and I am once again safe in my Father's home.

One of my greatest treasures which I always carry with me is my Temple Recommend. 
For many it may appear just as a simple piece of paper but to me that simple piece of paper speaks volumes on where I have been and where I am going.

President Howard W Hunter made this comment, "Let us be a temple-attending and temple loving people.  Let us hasten to the temple as frequently as time and means and personal circumstances allow....but let us also go for the personal blessings of temple worship."

My heart is filled with over abounding gradititude and humbliness that a wise and loving Heavenly Father graciously invites His children to "Come, come and learn at my feet in my house."


I love to see the temple,
a beacon of his light
to guide me on my journey,
while showing me the right
for my father sent me here to earth, 
I 'll strive to be found worthy
and return to him in heaven above,
to be with him forever.
(A couple of talented young ladies wrote this last verse to I love to see the temple.  Krisitn and Taula, thank you for sharing you talents with us.)

No comments:

Post a Comment