Sunday, April 29, 2012

Stripling Warriors

 There is a story found in the Book of Mormon which teaches about 2,000 young man who entered into a covenant to defend their liberty and country.  They were described as follows:

"They were all young men, and they were exceedingly valiant for courage,
and also for strength and activity; but behold this was not all--
they were men who were true at all times in whatsoever thing they were entrusted.
Yea, they were men of truth and soberness, for they had been taught
to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before him."


I had the privilege of  getting to spend four hours with such a group of young men.
I was inspired by their actions.
These young men from different areas of the
United States had been called to serve a mission
 in a remote part of Africa.  


Me being me I would have been shaking in my shoes but these valiant young men were anxious and eager to help and teach their brothers and sisters in any way they could.  

They had truly been taught to "keep the commandments of God and walk uprightly before him."

"Behold our God is with us, and he will not suffer that we should fall;"
"They had been taught by their mothers, that if they did not doubt, God would deliver them.
And they rehearsed unto me the words of their mothers saying:
We do no doubt our mothers knew it."

As I interacted with these remarkable young men each testified of the example of their mothers
and credited their mothers with why there were there that day.

One young man played football and had many colleges seeking him for his talent with football.
I made the comment that it must have been hard for him to walk away from his dream
of playing football to serve a mission.


He simply smiled and said, "Football is not what the Lord was wanting me to do at this time.
 He wanted me here on a mission."
He then shared,
"I am trusting in Him that when I return from my mission
 if it be His will I can still play football;
if not I know He will open another doorway to me."

WOW!!  What incredible faith coming from a young man
who was in his early 20's.  

As we parted I knew that the people of Africa were going to come to know some very valiant and special young men and what a grand journey they would have.

As they disappeared from my view I found myself thanking my Heavenly Father and asking that one day on their return trip home, could we not meet again and I be graced to bask in their warmth and zeal for four hours more or longer. 

Though our meeting was brief I shall always carry a special place in my heart for those young men and their families and when my faith starts to falter, I hope to remember that young's mans example of faith and courage to help carry me through my darkest hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment