Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The End of the World

I have always loved the song, "The End of the World."  Of course it spoke to me during the painful years of being a rejected teen-ager.  Her words of anguish resounded in our ears,

"Why do the birds keep on singing"
"Why does the sun continue to shine"
"Don't they know its the end of the world"
It ended when you said good-bye."

As I matured and have faced painful losses I was amazed at how quickly people were at moving on with their lives;
 leaving me behind in this dark abyss because my world
 had come to an unexpected end.

Those type of losses are always carried inside with a large jagged scar reminding you of the great pain and loss you felt.
 During those dark days of anguish it appears your cries went unheard as people quickly jostle by.
 After all, their reality had not been so crudely interrupted.

This past week I have spent some time in the temple with a good friend, whose world for him had come to a sudden and painful end.
He too watched as people bustled by not seeing the tears and great pain which filled his eyes.
His first trip back to the temple consisted of just him and me.
 Sitting there in that peaceful place I found my heart aching with him as tears started flowing down his face and I was reminded that there is one who never hustles and bustles by.
He is never so busy that he does not take the time to comfort His child when in need.

As my friend and I were visiting afterwards I shared with him that there was a time my sins were as scarlet and I had felt that there was no way I would ever be able to feel my Father in Heavens love for me let alone receive his forgiveness.
 Boy was I wrong.  I had no understanding what so ever about the atonement.

The day I first entered those hallowed walls I was surrounded by such love that it completely overwhelmed me and then there was this peace that settled deep down into the very core of my soul and these words ran thru my mind, 
"Thou thy sins be as scarlet,
they shall be as white as snow;
though they be red like crimson,
they shall be as wool."

We are surrounded by many who like my friend and I who felt that their world had come to an end and even sadder as they watch those around them hustle by they feel lost and forgotten.

They have no clue that there is one who feels their pain with them and is waiting to be invited in so that He can wipe away their tears and heal them.

May we build friendships with those in need and let them know that along with us they have even a greater friend who is anxiously waiting for their call to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment