Sunday, August 5, 2012

When Ye Are Serving

Ever since I can remember my mother and poppers were always helping out our neighbors and friends.
They truly lived this statement:

 "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."

Over the last few months, thanks in large part to Facebook
I have been reading about my cousins endeavor to raise money to assist with medical bills for a family member that is fighting his personal battle with cancer.

July I had planned on going down and offer my hands to help with whatever she needed help with.
But life has a way of throwing curve balls and I was not able to take my vacation as planned and wound up here working.

I planned on going down this month with my newly requested vacation at the end of this month but once again life has thrown a curve ball and I have a broke down car along with a broke down me at this moment. .

So, to let my awesome cousin know that my prayers and thoughts are with her here I am blogging about her and her wonderful adventure in "service."

Today the only meeting I made it through was Relief Society and my true blue friend had to assist me to her car and home due to my world started spinning so badly I just knew I was going to hit the floor.

At that meeting the Bishop came in and was visiting with us about
"the Gospel in Action."

You have probably seen the saying, "going to church does not make you a Christian no more than parking your car in the garage makes it a fancy car."  (Can't remember the exact wording; but you get the jest of it.)

It is easy to go to church each and every Sunday and pay "lip service" to our God we love so much.
But I believe that the God we love hears much louder when we are actually out and serving our fellow men.
Kudo's to my cousin and all those who are pitching in their time, talents, and everything they have to assist this young man and his family during this battle.

I know for a fact our Lord and Savior is well pleased at what He is witnessing with all the gifts of selflessness that is abounding in Ogden Utah.

This cousin married onto my mom's side of the family, the Coxey side.
 I am proud to bear that name because on that line there has been countless stories of selflessness and sacrifice for those in need.
She may not be in our blood line but she has the Coxey spirit of service and she has a community standing right along besides her along with friends and family.
I so wish I could have have been a partaker in the spirit of friendship and fellowship that was shared this last Saturday.
All those who have been on the front lines are showing what it means to have the "gospel in action."


Whether they are Latter-day Saints or not I do not know, but I do know that they are following the example of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and I tip my hat to them because they are truly exhibiting Christ like service.

For my dear dear cousin, keep up the good fight and know I love you and here in Idaho my prayers are with you and your family and once I get me repaired I'm in hopes to throw my hands in and do what I can from a distance.

May the Lord continue to bless and keep you all and may your example extend out and touch others who feel that their simple act of kindness and service are not enough.

"To all my friends that came to my son in laws event today may I say thank you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for coming, for helping, for donating and just for showing Rich, my daughter Christel and my two beautiful grandchildren that you are there to support him until he is well and on his feet again. If there ever is anything I can do for any of you Please just just ask. Without all of you this event would of been nothing. To my family. My sisters, brother in laws, niece's, nephews, my son Jamie his wife Trisha and all my grandkids my cousins, I say thank you so much I love you all and I know we are truly blessed with the kind of family mom and dad would be proud of. THANK YOU"
(Billie Coxey)

No comments:

Post a Comment