Wednesday, February 6, 2013

One of the Ninety and Nine

I love Micheal McLean's messages one can find within the lyrics of his music.  One song that has really touched a chord with me is entitled "I'm Just One of the Ninety and Nine."
Mr McLean found himself wondering why the "lost souls" got so much attention in the scriptures.
His thoughts then turned to the Prodigal son who came home and his dad threw a party.
He mentions Saul/Paul who was a world class persecutor on the road to Damascus and how he got a light and a voice.
He then mentioned that if "you're a sheep that strays from the fold, the good shepherd leaves the ninety and nine good guy sheep in search of the lost one."
(How grateful I am that the shepherd did leave those ninety and nine and come searching for me.)

Mr. McLean continued with this question, "but what about the people who aren't particularly lost but may feel unnoticed?  What about the ones who are carpooling Cub Scouts, serving in soup kitchens, taking clothing to Goodwill, donating blood, singing in the choir, volunteering at the hospital, visiting the nursing home, tutoring students, teaching Sunday School, coaching Little League and doing the thousands of other activities the regular good guys do...without any spotlight or fanfare, without seeking any credit, without building themselves up?  What about the ones who are wearing out their lives more or less being the kind of people the good shepherd doesn't have to worry about?  What about them?"

May I include a humble branch president who takes time out of his busy schedule to call a member that he has learned is facing some dark challenges. He calls just to visit or his lovely wife who upon seeing this wounded soul throws her arms around her and lets her know how happy she is to see you and how you've have been missed.
It is so amazing at how healing a honest and loving hug and a thinking of you phone call can be.
Brother Joseph was really unto something when he talked about the power of love.

Mr. McLean finds his answers in music and these are the words that came into his mind to answer all his questions:

I am one of the ninety and nine
I'm not perfect but basically I'm doing fine
I have not lost my way, I have not gone astray
I'm just one of the ninety and nine
And I'm here in the heart of the fold
I'm not mindless, but I try to do as I'm told
I'm not tempted to run and become the lost one
I'm just here in the heart of the fold
So why is my shepherd coming this way toward me?
He's holding His arms out and calling my name
He's calling my name, but how can this be?
I'm just one of the ninety and nine
I have stumbled and fallen, but I've kept in line
I'm not one He must seek; I'm not all that unique
I'm just one of the ninety and nine
So why is my shepherd treating me like His lost lamb?
He's searching to find...me...and He's holding me now,
He's holding me now, and teaching me who I am
And why am I felling like I'm the only one here?
It's like...it's like I'm His favorite...
And He takes me aside and He sweetly confides
These remarkable words in my ear.  He says:

"You're one of the ninety and nine 
Have you any idea how brightly you shine?
You are safe in this fold
And it's time that you were told that I know where you've been,
So I know where you'll be,
Because all of your life you've been following me,
You are more than just one of the sands of the sea
Or just one of ninety and nine:
You are mine...you are mine...you are mine...you are mine
Guess I'm one of the ninety and nine."

Mr. McLean closed with this thought, "I'm feeling that where ever we are on the path, that's exactly where God will meet us and walk with us and teach us and encourage us and love us if we'll let Him...He meets us where we are.  In the fold or out, He lets us feel what perfect love feels like...whatever blessing we need, we'll receive."


The last two weeks have been very trying for me and true to Mr McLean's words, My Savior came to me and reminded me of how very much He loves ME.  I was reminded of that love via a Priesthood blessing from a friend who has known me since I was in the "depths of deep despair."  The blessing I truly needed had been received.

These last few days I have truly once again felt like "His Favorite."  Because I am truly His.  I have finally reached the rank of being "One of the Ninety and Nine."

No comments:

Post a Comment