Sunday, March 3, 2013

Thanks for the Sabbath



I love Sunday's I attend my meetings with one of my good friends and since my calling in the Branch is the Musical Director I get to choose songs whose words deeply touch my soul and leave an infinite imprint about my Lord and Savior along with His great sacrifice for not only me but everyone who has and is an inhabitant on this wonderful planet.  The words also speak directly to me about His great love for me.

Today I found myself reflecting on His great love for me and how He knows me so personally and intimately.
In Sunday school we were talking about what were some of the greatest gifts or blessings you have received from having the gospel of Jesus Christ restored to the earth?

Two powerful impressions immediately came to my mind:  The magnificent power of the priesthood and the beauty and peace of Temple service.  Those two truths have forever changed my life.

A few weeks ago I found myself being weighed down with such a dark and heavy burden.  It was just to much for me to bear, so I found myself once again at the doors of the Institute where a trusted friend was now the Institute Director.

Many years ago after being beaten down and battered to almost nothing this ragged broken child made her way through the doors of the LDS Institute where she met some of the noblest Priesthood leaders who not only honored their role but magnified it each and every day.
This lost and wayward child had many a Priesthood blessings during that dark period of time which assisted her in finding her way out of the dark and dreary room she had holed up in and brought her back out into the glistening sunlight.

Years later I journeyed with another honorable group of Priesthood leaders who also magnified their sacred obligation and went well beyond the extra mile to help this girl find her way to the Temple.
An event which has forever changed my life.

It has been quite a few years since my friend and I have journeyed together but as I approached I was greeted with a warm and welcoming smile.  He graciously listened as I related to him the trials which were wearing heavy on my shoulders and then offered to give me a Priesthood blessing as my friend.
 It was such a wonderful blessing filled with wonderful promises just for me.
He also gave me counsel which thus far has directed me safely through and will continue to inspire and guide me as I continue on.
All the while my friend was speaking I felt my Heavenly Father's love rushing over me in such force and warmth.
I knew I was not alone and He had not forsaken me.

As with previous blessings I was reminded to continue in my daily scripture study and go to the temple as often as I could and there I would find my answers I was seeking.
Anyone who knows me knows that at least once a week I am sitting in the temple basking in the warmth and peace that lie within those hallowed doors.

Are you familiar with the scripture in the New Testament where the Savior is talking to the apostles and says, "peace I leave with you not as the world... but my peace."  I apologize for paraphrasing but when I am in the temple I totally understand the peace He is talking about and fortunately for me that peace stays with me each and every day since I first entered into the temple in 1997.
Today for our closing song I chose a primary song entitled,
 "I Know MY Father Lives."
As I was singing those words tears started flowing from my eyes at the truthfulness of those words and how very special and tender they were to me:

I know my Father lives and loves me too
The Spirit whispers this to me 
and tells me it is true
and tells me it is true.
He sent me here to earth, 
by faith to live his plan
The Spirit whispers this to me 
and tells me that I can
and tells that I can."




What a great blessing this witness has been to me and an even greater blessing is having the opportunity each and every week to be sitting in His holy house or worshiping Him in my little branch. 
I know my Father lives and Loves Me and through my Faith in Him nothing is impossible and I will never be alone because some of His noblest children call me friend.  
I'm also in hopes that He too calls me friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment