Monday, May 6, 2013

Signs of Stroke

Stroke Terms  I have had several family members and close friends whose loved ones have suffered the devastating effects of stroke. 
I also work with those who are trying to rehabilitate from the effects of a stroke.  



Here is some good information to help you or a loved one recognize the signs of a possible stroke and to immediately get help, 
courtesy of The American Heart Association.  

If you would like, feel free to take the "My life check assessment" and see where you are for the risk of cardiovascular diseases.  Mine I already knew; I am quite pleasantly extra plump or very obese.  
I have already lost 10 lbs but it would not hurt my heart in the least for me to lose another 10 lbs.  
My ultimate goal is to lose at least 45-50 lbs.  That would put me in a healthier weight bracket but no means close to the weight I was when my husband and I were married.  Those days for me has done set sail.  
When I was younger I was was so phobic about my weight that I went to extreme to maintain my "perfect weight."  
Now that I am older I'll be just as satisfied to be a "healthier weight."
I hope you find the information contained in this post useful and if you decide to check your assessment I hope you also will become inspired to gift yourself with a healthier you.



"May is American Stroke Month and a time to raise awareness that stroke is largely preventable, treatable and beatable.

Stroke is largely preventable. The risk factors for stroke and heart disease can be similar, so what’s good for the brain is good for the heart. A few simple steps toward getting healthier is a great way to reduce your risk for both diseases. Start by checking your cardiovascular health with the My Life Check® Assessment.Stroke is treatable. When you recognize a stroke and act fast by calling 9-1-1, you have a greater chance of survival and recovery. Remember the acronym F.A.S.T. to help you recognize symptoms and what to do: 

    F - Face Drooping: Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? 
    A - Arm Weakness: Is one arm weak or numb? 
    S - Speech Difficulty: Is speech slurred, are they unable to speak, or are they hard to understand? 
    T - Time to call 911: If the person shows any of these symptoms, call 9-1-1 immediately. 

Stroke is beatable. Stroke survivors and their families are not alone in the recovery. The American Stroke Association is here with resources to help." 

No comments:

Post a Comment