Tuesday, July 23, 2013

"Thou Did it unto the Least of These"


The other day I was visiting with a fellow Latter-Day Saint and they shared with me that the Stake was going to change the boundaries of the Wards due to some Wards were "busting at the seams" and some were struggling to fill the benches.
They went on to share that with the new boundaries there would be some additional members attending our Ward.  I found myself thinking that will be kinda neat.
Then this comment was made, "Do you think some of those haughty tot ties will want to come to our Ward?"
I was quite surprised at that response but kept silent.
Another comment was then made, "well it would'nt be so bad if we were able to choose who came to our Ward and they proceeded to name some names."
I was totally speechless.
I was raised and taught that we are all brothers and sisters, all of us LDS and all other Christian Denomination's and those who choose not to belong to any church and even those who do not believe in God the Eternal Father; we are all begotten sons and daughters of God and He loves each and everyone of us with His perfect love.
I then imagined us all waiting to sit with our Eternal Father at this magnificent table and tried to imagine Him "picking and choosing" who could attend His marvelous feast.
To my understanding and belief system He has invited all and it is up to each of us individually if we accept His invitation or choose to decline.  He does not "pick and choose."
He loves us so very much He allows us to choose and hopes that we "choose Him, our blood..."
I was saddened, by this Latter-Day Saints view point.  To me that is not a "Gospel Perspective" that I try each and every day to live by and honor.
That is not the Gospel teachings that brings me peace and that is not a teaching of the Gospel that I have grown to love so very much.
As I was browsing through FB on my hubbies side I found this story and it struck a chord with me and so I decided to share it here.
This Pastor truly has a love for the Gospel as I do and he has a great love for the scriptures as I do.
That is one of my most favorite verses of Scripture and I try each and everyday to "do unto the least of these..."
May we all strive to follow in Our Savior's footsteps is my hope and may His great example become our example also, so on the day Our Father has a great feast we shall be able to attend with clean hands and clean heart.

"Pastor Jeremiah Steepek (pictured above)  transformed himself into a homeless person and went to the 10,000 member church that he was to be introduced as the head pastor at that morning. He walked around his soon to be church for 30 minutes while it was filling with people for service, only 3 people out of the 7-10,000 people said hello to him. He asked people for change to buy food - NO ONE in the church gave him change. He went into the sanctuary to sit down in the front of the church and was asked by the ushers if he would please sit n the back. He greeted people to be greeted back with stares and dirty looks, with people looking down on him and judging him.

As he sat in the back of the church, he listened to the church announcements and such. When all that was done, the elders went up and were excited to introduce the new pastor of the church to the congregation. "We would like to introduce to you Pastor Jeremiah Steepek." The congregation looked around clapping with joy and anticipation. The homeless man sitting in the back stood up and started walking down the aisle. The clapping stopped with ALL eyes on him. He walked up the altar and took the microphone from the elders (who were in on this) and paused for a moment then he recited,

“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’ “Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

'The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’

After he recited this, he looked towards the congregation and told them all what he had experienced that morning. Many began to cry and many heads were bowed in shame. He then said, "Today I see a gathering of people, not a church of Jesus Christ. The world has enough people, but not enough disciples. When will YOU decide to become disciples?"

He then dismissed service until next week.

Being a Christian is more than something you claim. It's something you live by and share with others."

No comments:

Post a Comment