Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Man of The World

My husband recently made a purchase that allowed us to be invited to join a "club." 
We attended one of their function's and we found ourselves in one corner with the main group in another corner visiting and showing off their colors so to speak.  
Each of them  simply cast a glance in our direction and then immediately turned their backs to us.  
As I watched them this thought ran through my mind, "these are those who stand in the great and spacious building." 
 My next thought, knowing what I know about the great and spacious building was, "but their not pointing and mocking us."  

A few days later I found myself being attacked in part because of my priorities.  

As I was driving home this thought played out in my mind, 
"And He was considered a thing of Naught." 
Upon arriving home I texted my friend to see if she remembered what scripture made reference to the Savior being referred to as a thing of Naught.  She had no clue.

A day or so later I heard a young man refer to himself very proudly, "I'm a man of the world."


Later that day I found an article in which one one of the Prophets was visiting with a young man about his life and his goals.  This young man related to the Prophet that he in essence needed nothing from the church because he was going to go out and become a millionare.  



The Prophet went on to say that this young man did go on to become a millionare and a "man of the world." 

The Prophet then made this profound statement: 

 "This young man has forgotten that His Father in Heaven has promised His children 'everything in His Kingdom' if they but follow Him.  What is a puny million or even a billion dollars compared to everything in our Father's Kingdom."    
This young man considered our Lord and Savior a "thing of naught."  He was also one that dwelled in the great and spacious building.


"And after they had partaken of the fruit of the tree they did cast their eyes about as if they were ashamed.  And I also cast my eyes round about, and behold, on the other side of the river of water, a great and spacious building; and it stood as it were in the air, high above the earth. 

 "For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul. others set at naught and trample under their feet.  Yea, even the very God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words--they hearken not to the voice of his counsel."
(1 Nephi 19:15)

"In this chapter, Nephi explained that some people would not revere the God of Israel, Jesus Christ. Figuratively, they would trample Jesus Christ under their feet by setting Him at naught and refusing to hearken to His counsel. Nephi also related the teachings of ancient prophets who foretold that those responsible for scourging and crucifying the Savior, as well as their descendants, would be scattered and afflicted until they turned their hearts to the Lord. At that time, the Lord would “remember the covenants which he made to their fathers” (see 1 Nephi 19:15). Nephi explained that he wrote these things to persuade his people to remember the Lord and believe in Him. He also taught his people to liken the scriptures to themselves to help them believe in the Lord."

And it was filled with people both old and young, both male and female; and their manner of dress exceedingly fine; and they were in the attitude of mocking and pointing their fingers towards those who had come and were partaking of the fruit."
(1 Nephi 8:25-27)

"And it came to pass that the angel spake unto me again, saying: Look! And I looked and beheld the Lamb of God, that he was taken by the people; yea the Son of the everlasting God was judged of the world; and I bear record.  And I, Nephi, saw that he was lifted up upon the cross and slain for the sins of the world.  And after he was slain I saw the multitudes of the earth, that they were gathered together to fight against the apostles of the Lamb; for thus were the twelve called by the angel of the Lord.
And the multitude of the earth was gathered together; and I beheld that they were  in a large and spacious building, like unto the building which my father saw.  And the angel of the Lord spake unto me again, saying:  Behold, the world and the wisdom thereof; yea, behold the house of Israel hath gathered together to fight against the twelve apostles of the Lamb.  And it came to pass that I saw and bear record, that the great and spacious building was the "pride of the world;" and it fell, and the fall thereof was exceedingly great..."     
(1 Nephi 11:32-36)




Then in Proverbs 1:25:  "But ye have set at naught all my counsel, and would none of my reproof."

I am so thankful for parents and family who taught me about my Lord and Savior and through their examples exemplified His acts of service and kindness.  

I find my heart aching for those who settle for the riches and prestige they obtain in this life not even realizing that it is but a mere penance of "all our Father has." 

No comments:

Post a Comment