Monday, December 30, 2013

But First

I wrote this the new year of 2002 and had it published in our Church magazine.  With the first of the year approaching fast, it is always a good time to reflect on some positive changes we would like to make on the new coming year.  I must admit I still struggle with "But First" but I am still a work in progress and thank goodness our Loving Father is so patient and kind.  May we all have the courage to swap the B for the P and start putting the Lord first in our lives.

“And he said unto another follow me, but he said suffer me to first to go and bury my father.  And another also said, Lord I will follow thee but let first go bid them farewell which are at home at my house.”

But suffer me first and But let me first; I started reflecting on how many different times that we as Visiting teachers or Home teachers were called and yet we use the same words, “But let me first or but suffer me first.”  
There are a lot of me me me’s in those two sentence's.

I am horrible with the “But first” when it comes to my daily scripture studies.  
I have so many but firsts that the days turn into weeks and the weeks into months.  
Yet during the times I have visited with our Heavenly Father thru- out the day I have never felt that He uses the “But first or but Suffer me first” vocabulary.  
He always has a loving listening ear that is tuned into me for as long as I need.

I then started wondering if I as a visiting teacher had that same loving listening ear when a dear sister needed that from me.  Am I gracious enough to listen to her needs as long as she needs or do I give her the Let me first…….and then just as my days slip by without my daily scripture study months slip by and this dear sister is lost to me.

My brothers and sisters here we are starting a New Year let us simply change the B in front of But to a P and Put the Lord first and change the me from me, me,me to Let Thine Will be Done.


No comments:

Post a Comment