Monday, December 30, 2013

Lord Help Me Love The Least of These

I wrote this July of 2011:


I have always love the Janice Capp Perry Song Lord help me love the least of these.   The first verse talks about a lonely woman sitting all alone in a wheel chair in a nursing home.  Since my chosen profession is as a nurse and I work in a skilled facility those words ring true.  Each and every day I pass by my special friends who are sitting in wheelchairs waiting for a friend to call.
Their faces light up when they hear my voice calling out, “good morning beautiful.”  Then their tiny little hands reach out eagerly for mine.  I stop and visit with them briefly before starting my day but make it a point to visit them each time I walk by them and before I head for home I always tell them good-bye.
One day as I was leaving my sweet little beautiful friend grabbed my hand just a beaming away.  This friend does not talk much her communication is found in her eyes and smile but his day she was nodding her head and trying to talk to me.  She was excited about something and each staff member that walked by she would eagerly hold out her other hand to them but they were to busy to see that small gesture.  When I made mention of it to one who was quickly walking by they raised their hand and waved as they passed by and told us, “I will be right back.”  I offered my little friend both my hands and continued to visit with her.  Finally it came time for me to leave.  As I kissed her little forehead and told her that I would see her tomorrow my friend reached for an empty drinking mug that I had picked up.  I asked her if she was thirsty and she eagerly shook her head yes.  I stopped a passing aide and asked them to get her drink and sat with her until the drink arrived.  As I placed the cup into her hands I noticed that she was unable to drink because she could not get her feeble hands to lift the glass to her mouth.  The verse in A Poor Wayfaring Man came into my mind, where the stranger was spotted by a fountain but was unable to drink and how the heedless water mocked his thirst.  As I helped her lift glass to where she could drink, the verse continued to play out in my mind, “I ran and raised the sufferer up thrice from the stream he drained my cup the returned it running oer, I drank and never thirsted no more.”  How I wish that drink I helped her with would have “never let her thirst no more.” 

Joseph Smith testified that “Nothing is so calculated to lead people to forsake sin as to take them by the hand, and watch over them with tenderness.  When persons manifest the least kindness and love to me, O what power it has over my mind…

No comments:

Post a Comment