Wednesday, April 23, 2014

"Have Miracles Ceased?"




My Branch President has been talking a lot about "Miracles" and how most just shun them off.  Each time I have listened to him speak about "Miracles" this scripture verse has ran through my mind:

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, have miracles ceased because Christ hath ascended into heaven,
 and hath sat down on the right hand of God, to claim of the Father his rights of mercy which he hath upon the children of men?
"And because he hath done this, my beloved brethren have miracles ceased?..."
"Behold I say unto you, Nay; for it is by faith that miracles are wrought;...wherefore, if these things have ceased wo be unto the children of men, for is because of unbelief, and all is vain."
(Moroni 7: 27, 29, 37)

I have witnessed countless miracles in my own life.  Some are just to personal to share, but I will share my thoughts on a few.
Living in Idaho we were asked to fast and pray for rain due to our drought condition.  I participated and lo and behold the rain came.  I was so filled with gratitude for our Father's goodness.  One Sunday as I was visiting my beloved Jackpot Branch I was asked if I would give the closing prayer.  I remember distinctly thanking our Father for the moisture He had sent and then asked "If it by thy will could you please bless us with more moisture."  The very next day it once again started to rain.  Coincidence, I think not.  Once again my heart was filled with gratitude that our Father would answer one child's request. (I'm sure that day other prayers for moisture were all answered too)

One miracle that I know was an answer to me exclusively was when my 89 year old Poppers during a priesthood blessing was told "You have unfinished work and the Lord will spare your life so that you may complete that work."  That was the day when my Popper's who had been inactive for 70 some years related to his little girl that He wanted to go to the temple and be sealed as a family.  I faced many Nay Sayers who daily told me, "Your dad will not make it to the temple.  He will die before that day and you will just have to have his work done for him."  Me being me, I was not deterred and my Poppers and I started our journey.
August 20, 1998 we were sealed in the Boise Temple.  The sealing room was a beautiful blue, my favorite color.  Only my family and Heavenly Father knew that blue was my favorite color.  The sealer was an older man who had a similar journey with his family. Many a "Nay Sayer" showed up to support us that day but now for many it has become a distant memory.  

Easter Weekend a friend and I went down to Salt Lake to watch the Easter Concert by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.  




We had planned to do a session at the Salt Lake Temple but only had time to do initiatory.  
I had not stepped inside that beautiful temple since I had taken out my own endowments in 1997.

As soon as I entered the Temple worker took one look at me and then her eyes started misting up.  
Feeling her emotions I too found myself starting to tear up and before I knew it we were both in tears. 
We were both overwhelmed with the feelings that came upon us.  
As I was visiting with my friend I related to her that it felt as powerful as the first time I entered those doors. She reflective looked at me and simply said, "I don't remember much about when I first went through the temple."  I silently thanked my Heavenly Father for never letting me forget how I felt that day in 1997.  
(You see as I left that beautiful building I found myself pleading with Him to never let me forget that wonderful day.)

Last thought, last year I found myself unemployed.  Ever since becoming a nurse I have worked full time.  I had been working at a local Hospice with "on call" work which had been a feast and famine work schedule.
As my husband and I started to panic a great peace came over me and I heard these word:

"Prove me now, if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour blessing out upon your head
 in so much that your roof cannot contain them."

Each and every payday I have had enough work to cover what I needed to cover, "Sufficient for my needs."

So, my friends I ask you, 

"Have Miracles Ceased?"  



In closing I would like to share a really neat statement that I cam across in my "52 Life Changing Questions":

"Today is a day of miracles.  
People are healed, keys are found, 
( I found my keys in the frige once)
prayers are answered.  
And finding peace in the midst of turbulent times
 is itself a miracle,
a miracle that each of us can experience."

John Bytheway shared a link with a short clip called "Starting Today."  Below is the link.  I hope you all enjoy the message as well as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment