Wednesday, April 9, 2014

"Love Each Other Better"



As a Latter-Day Saint like many I cannot wait to listen to the words of our General Woman's Boards ie Primary, Young Women's and Relief Society Leaders.  Along with them are the words spoken by The Brethren on General Conference Broadcast twice a year.  I always am inspired by the counsel the speaker share.  This year with the "General Woman's Conference I had two speakers that truly touched my heart and have inspired me to try and follow their counsel.
The one I chose to share today was the wise counsel from the Young Women's General President Sister Bonnie L Oscarson.  WOW!!!!  I have listened to her talk over and over and I still say "WOW!!!!
I have posted some points here that truly touched my heart and hope that some one out there will also be touched by her inspired words:

   “In many ways we are different and unique. 
We also acknowledge that we are all daughters from the same Heavenly Father which makes us sisters. 
We are united in building up the Kingdom of God.  
To be sisters implies there is an unbreakable bond between us.  
Sisters take care of each other, watch out for each other, comfort each other
 and watch out for each other through thick and thin.” 
     
 “The Lord has said ‘be ye one and if ye are not one ye are not mine.’ 
The adversary would have us be critical or judgmental of one another.  
He wants us to concentrate on our differences and compare ourselves to one another.”
    
 We as women can be particularly hard on ourselves.  
When we compare ourselves to one another 
we will always feel inadequate or resentful of others.”

One time my friend and I were doing a session at the Boise temple.  
As we were changing our clothing the sister seated in front of us started loudly proclaiming, 
“Sister! Sister!  You’re doing that wrong! 
I observed this sister was looking at my friend as she was attempting to put on her bonnet.  
The sister continued to loudly proclaim that my friend was doing it wrong.  
I looked at my by then flustered friend and thought, 
“she’s not doing anything wrong she is just doing it differently.”  
About that time the Sister in front of us proceeded to grab the back of her chair 
and I was expecting her to hurdle over the chair to my friend, 
so she could yank the bonnet out of her hands and do it “correctly.” 
My heart ached for both this sister and my friend all I could think was 
“This is the house of the Lord, this is the house of the Lord.”
      
 “Sister Patricia T Holland once said,
 ‘The point is we simply cannot call ourselves Christen 
and continue to judge one another or ourselves so harshly.  
She goes on to say that there is nothing that is worth us losing our compassion or sisterhood over
 and we just need to relax and rejoice in our Divine differences.  
We need to realize that we all desire 
to serve in the Kingdom using our unique talents 
and gifts in our own way.  
Then we can enjoy our sisterhood, 
our association and begin to serve.’ 
  
“The fact of the matter is we really and truly need each other.  
Women naturally seek friendships, support and companionship.  
We have so much to learn from one another and 
we often let self-imposed barriers keep us from enjoying associations 
which could be among our greatest blessings in our lives.”
    
  “There is no age barrier when it comes to Christ like service.”
    
  “Let us all reach out to help one another in the transitions and milestones of our lives.”
    
 “If there are barriers it is because we ourselves have created them.”
    
“We must stop concentrating on our differences 
and look for what we have in common. 
Then we can begin to realize our greatest potential and achieve the greatest good in this world.”
.  
“Oh, how we need each other!”
.  
“I invite you to not to love each other more; but love each other better!”


I recently had a friend who came to help me out and as we were working 
she simply looked at me and said, “You have this uncanny gift of loving others.  
I have never met someone who loves as easily as you do.”  
She then threw her arms around me and let me know how very much she loved me.  
There was no comparison, there was no judgment or criticism.  
I in return shared with her what I loved and admired about her. 
It was truly a special bonding moment between two sisters of our Heavenly Father 
and I felt His gentle smile of approval.

I know if we can take Sister Oscarson’s words deep within our hearts 
and love each other better and let go of the judgments and comparisons 
our Father will pour great blessings upon our heads and we will begin to realize our “greatest potentials 
and we will achieve the greatest good in this world.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment