Sunday, July 6, 2014

We Believe Article of Faith # 4 & # 5

Today I attended my beloved Jackpot branch.  I usually go on the second Sunday of the month to support a friend that teaches that Sunday, but for some reason I felt that I needed to go today and share my testimony with my very special friends.

For the last week I have been awaken with two of my favorite primary songs playing in my mind.  I have found myself singing those songs throughout my day.  The first is "I am a Child of God."

"I am child of God and He has sent me here
has given me an earthly home 
with parents kinds and dear
Lead me Guide me walk besides me
help me find the way
Teach me all that I must do
To live with Him someday..."

The other one was, "Teach Me to Walk in the Light.

"Teach me to walk in the light of his love;
Teach me to pray to my Father above;
Teach me to know of the things that are right;
Teach me, teach me to walk in the light..."

Upon arriving at the Branch I was notified that today was going to be a special Sunday because a young man had made the decision to be baptized.  Part of his program included the above two songs.  After his program was completed we all loaded up into our cars and traveled to this beautiful yet remote spring of water where this young man was baptized.

As I watched that young man be immersed in that spring of water the 4th and 5th article of faith started running through my mind,
"We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are,
First, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ;
Second, Repentance,
Third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins,
Fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost."

"We believe that a man must be called of God,
by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority,
to preach the Gospel and administer the ordinances thereof."

It has been quite awhile since I have attended a baptism but there in that beautiful peaceful place I felt the Spirit whisper its comforting reassurance that the inspired words in the Articles of Faith were true.

Upon returning to the Branch I was able to share with that wonderful young man the events that led me to Jackpot on this day and not the Sunday I usually attended.  I shared with him how the Spirit had whispered to me that I needed to be there today, so this newest member could hear my testimony of what a special step he had taken and what great things awaited for him as he grew into manhood and encouraged him to not be content with just the "gift of the Holy Ghost" but strive for the day when the "Holy Ghost, (or Spirit) would one day become his best friend.  Because you could not ask for a greater friend.

I'm in hopes that as this young man grows and becomes friends with the Holy Ghost he will also have the desire to develop a friendship with His Lord and Savior.  
I know from personal experience the great joy that comes by calling my Lord and Savior friend and having that constant friendship with my companion and friend the Holy Ghost.   

No comments:

Post a Comment