Sunday, August 10, 2014

Thoughts From the Past

Today after church my beloved friend loaded me up with Zucchini and Squash from her garden.  As I was driving home with my prizes I found myself thinking about my mom and what she used to do with our garden goodies.

As soon as I got home I found myself pulling out her old recipe books and looking for recipes that have long been forgotten.  As I was flipping through the pages of one of her favorite recipe books I came across some little sayings in the front that brought back poignant memories for me and so I would like to share them here with you today:

Just Like Mother Made

Do you remember way back when your boy or girl was six or ten
when you got out the flour and baking tools, there seemed to be a set of rules
and you usually got it before you were through?
Cookies, dumplings, pies or cakes, they wanted to make one "like mother makes."
Sometimes you thought, "Oh what a mess!"
But anyway you soon said "Yes",
And glad you were, as they had fun while you had love from daughter or son.
Now when you bake, the house is still.
But you remember, and always will,
When your little helper sat on that stool and learned his lesson in your private school.
You made much more than pies and cakes, you made a memory
like Mother Made."
Dorothy Jones

Recipe to Preserve a Husband

In choosing a husband, women should be careful of their selection.
Do not choose one too young or too green, and take only such as have
been raised in a good moral atmosphere.
When you have decided on a selection, turn your thoughts to a domestic use.
Some wives insist on keeping husbands in a pickle, 
while others are constantly getting them in hot water.
This only makes them sour, hard and sometimes bitter.
Even the poorest varieties can be made sweet, tender and good by garnishing
them with patience, spicing them with smiles and flavoring them with kisses.
For a finished product, husbands should be wrapped in a mantle of kindness,
kept warm with the fire of devotion and served with peaches and cream.
Husbands prepared this way will keep for years.
Dorothy Jones

Recipe for Life

Take a large amount of laughter and some tear drops mixed with sighs.
Add to this some sunshine and a smile of merry eyes.
Put in two cups of morning dew, diluting it with rain.
Stir well with happiness, but season with pain.
Pour this into a golden cup, buttered well with strife.
Wrap it 'round with problems and this, my friend is life!
Dorothy Jones

A Happy Home Recipe

4 Cups love    2 Cups Loyalty  2 Cups Forgiveness    1 Cup Friendship
5 spoons of Hope    2 spoons of Tenderness
4 Quarts or Faith   1 Barrel of Laughter 
Take Love and Loyalty, mix it thoroughly with Faith.
Blend it with Tenderness, Kindness and Understanding.
Add Friendship & Hope, sprinkle abundantly with Laughter.
Bake it with Sunshine.
Serve daily with generous helpings.
Genice Zweifel

Recipe For A Home

To one half cup Friendship, add one cup of thoughtfulness.
Very lightly beaten in a bowl of Loyalty, with a cup of Faith,
one of Hope, and one of Charity.
Be sure to add a spoonful each of Gaiety that sings,
and also the ability to laugh at little things.
Moisten with the sudden tears of heartfelt sympathy.
Dorothy Jones

The last one I would like to share is on a little plague that I remember hanging in our kitchen ever since I was a little girl and to this day continues to hang in my little kitchen:

God Bless My Little Kitchen

God bless my little kitchen.  
I love it's every nook.
And bless me as I do my work, wash pots and pans and cook.
And the meals that I prepare, be seasoned from above
with Thy blessing and Thy grace, but most of all Thy love.
As we partake of earthly food, the table for us spread,
We'll not forget to thank Thee, Lord, who gives us daily bread.
So bless my little kitchen, and those who enter in.
May they find naught by Joy and peace and happiness therein.
Dorothy Jones

Well my friends I am now going to go into my little kitchen and bake some zucchini bread just as my mother had taught me and then I will share those loafs with friends and neighbors just as we did when I was a little girl.  I am sure my eyes will be moist as those childhood memories come flooding back into my mind when my mother first taught me to bake "Just Like Mother Made."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment