Thursday, July 6, 2017

My Twelve Step: Step 7 Humility

I have been hearing this song on the radio station I listen too and it has really touched me.  I can so connect with the lyrics.

Image result for humility images and quotes

"David Dunn - I Wanna Go Back Lyrics

From the album Yellow Balloons


When I was a kid
I was sure
I could run across the ocean
And I was gonna be an astronaut

When it was You and it was me
I had everything I needed
Faith could even move a mountain top

And then I grew up
And then I got older
Then my life got tough
And we grew apart

I wanna go back
To Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible tells me
For the Bible tells me so
I wanna go back
To this little light
Gonna let it shine
Gonna let it shine
I wanna go back

When I was a kid
I didn't care to keep up with the Jones's
I was just happy that they lived next door

When it was You and it was me
I had everything I needed
Your hands were big enough to hold the world

And then I grew up
And then I got older
Then my life got tough
And we grew apart

I wanna go back
To Jesus loves me this I know
For the Bible tells me
For the Bible tells me so
I wanna go back
To this little light
Gonna let it shine
Gonna let it shine
I wanna go back

I wanna go back, back to
Yes, Jesus loves me"

{Publishing: Songs From the Penalty Box(BMI) Word Music, LLC, Howiecowie Publishing (ASCAP) Be Essential Music, Bentley Street Songs(SESAC)}

{Writer(s): David Dunn, Benji Cowart, Hank Bentley}


I remember as a little girl going to my Aunt Alzora's and helping her set up for her bible study group and singing "Jesus loves me this I know for the bible tells me so..."

Then on Sundays in my Primary class I would sing "I am a child of God and He has sent me here..."
I had such a deep love and reverence for my Heavenly Father.  I knew He loved me.

Then as the artist states, "then I grew up..."

When I grew up, I  lost my way.  I became a child who knew better then my Heavenly Parent what I needed.  I had lost my humility and let my pride take over.
I found myself many miles away from my one true friend.

There were two people who knew me pre-temple and they both would say I was pretty messed up.
But after I first entered those hallowed doors my life was changed and those same two people would tell you that I am a different person.  
I know I am a different person because on that day I found my way  to "I want to go back."  

That change happened in 97 and yet I was still a ways of from having true humility.

A few months ago I had what I call a mental meltdown.  
The Spirit had been whispering some things that frankly I just did not want to hear let alone change but after months of resisting I found myself tired of fighting and mentally exhausted.  
I remember saying out loud "I'm done.  I'm tired of fighting."  
A story from the Book of Mormon started running through my mind where some converted Lamanites had "buried deep in the earth their weapons of war."  
A beloved institute teacher words came to my mind as we were discussing above story, 
 "write in your scriptures at that verse rebellion."

I then found myself felling vulnerable and insecure, I had just laid down my rebellious attitude.  

Since that day I have been taking it one day at a time one step at a time and with each day I am in hopes that one day I will be one with my Heavenly Father and once again be called friend.

On the lds.org website one can find all the steps with some suggestions on how to get through each step.  
In closing I would like to share their thoughts on Step 7.

"All the steps require humility, but step 7 requires it most explicitly: “Humbly ask Heavenly Father to remove your shortcomings.” The humble heart we developed in step 6 brought us to our knees in step 7 to ask the Lord to remove our shortcomings. When we had progressed to this point, we were ready to pray without any other motivation but our desire to become one in heart and in mind with Heavenly Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. No longer were we satisfied with a change in habits or even in lifestyle. We were finally ready to have God change our very nature.
Step 7 represented for each of us such total surrender to the Savior that many of us could not help but cry out in our hearts, as Alma did, “O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me” (Alma 36:18). Genuine remorse filled our hearts, not only because we had suffered or made others suffer but because we regretted that even in recovery we still could not remove our own shortcomings.
Having felt a portion of the love of God, we desired to give up all our sins, even all inclination to sin, so we might know Him better. Finally, voluntarily, with all our hearts, we offered our whole souls to God and asked Him to forgive us and make us in His image. We had finally come to realize that no other name, no other way nor means, can give us a complete remission of our sins. Holding nothing back, we pled with the Father that He, in His infinite mercy, would forgive us for all our pride, transgressions, and shortcomings. We asked that He would grant us grace, that through Him we might maintain this new way of life.
The Lord did not begin such a revolutionary change of our entire character until we allowed Him to do so. Step 7 was our decision. We had to humble ourselves deliberately. We had to surrender every particle of self-sufficient pride and admit that our efforts to save ourselves had been insufficient. We had to feel and live the truth King Benjamin taught—that we are all beggars before God and have no hope of salvation by our own efforts but only through the mercy and grace of Jesus Christ (see Mosiah 2:21; 4:19–20).
Each step comes with a warning, though, and step 7 is no exception. We who have embraced these principles must warn you that you cannot expect to take this step without sacrifice—and rightly so. In Doctrine and Covenants 59:8, the Lord commands, “Thou shalt offer a sacrifice unto the Lord thy God in righteousness, even that of a broken heart and a contrite spirit.” This offering is the essence of step 7. Even as you feel the pains of your own rebirth, remember that His suffering, not yours, ensures your redemption from sin. Your sacrifice is only a humble reminder of His “great and last sacrifice” on your behalf (Alma 34:14)."



No comments:

Post a Comment