Sunday, September 11, 2022

FInding out Who You Truly Are

 Today in Relief Society our lesson was based on a talk given be Elder Bednar last conference address and we had many great thoughts shared throughout the lesson but there was a comment made about our youth and my mind went back to talk I had been listening where the newly called Young Woman's President Bonnie H Cordon shared her experience when President Nelson had called her and asked her "what do the youth of today need to understand."  She answered after pondering for a minute, "They need to know who they are..."   We had a wonderful discussion about our youth and many needing to be a part of the crowd.   I was one that followed the crowd while others stood alone and did not fall into the crowd.

As I was driving home the song "I've got to find out who I am" by Michael McClean came into my mind along with a talk that I had given many years ago based on that song.  Sister Cordon was spot on in her answer, "they need to know who they are." but then President Nelson responded, "And their purpose."  My family history is quite a story and because of my history for many years I had no clue who I was. I was raised in a part member Latter Day Saint home but being adopted and having older parents raising you was something that many Latter Day Saints did not understand.  We are not even going to get in to the issues my adopted parents created in my young life.  For many years I knew I was a Child of God and that He loved me but life happens and I had some very deep emotional scars that planted the seed of doubts and those doubts grew as I grew until I lost touch with who I was and my "purpose.  I found myself enthralled in the crowd because while in the crowd I was "someone."

I followed that crowd for many years and emotionally it started draining me and I was becoming a stranger to myself.   I then found myself in a dark place filled with despair with no hope but through the Lord's tender mercies I was brought to a place where my healing could begin and He placed people in my life that became my spiritual lifelines and they forever changed my life.

A comment was made that if you chose to stay alone and not follow the crowd you would find that "so called friends" would quit calling and invitations would stop.  My standing alone came when I came out of the temple for my first time.  Many friendships and associations ended but I knew without a doubt who I was and I found my purpose.

There are so many distractions, loudness and negativity surrounding our youth at this time it is very easy for them to forget who they truly are and their purpose.  My heart aches for friends whose children  have wandered away from the strait and narrow path.  They do not know who they truly are.  I am sure they are aware like I was that they are children of God but they do not truly know who they are or their purpose.  It hasn't been written in the fleshy parts of their heart at this time.   Sadly, I know quite a few adults who have forgotten who they are and their purpose.  It is so easy to get caught up in the business of life and lose sight of what truly matters.  When I left that hallowed house in 97, I pleaded with the Lord "Please don't ever let me forget...."  Then in 98 when I was sealed to my beloved Mom and Poppers I again pleaded, "Please don't ever let me forget..."  and He has not.  Daily I have reminders of both those life changing days and the wonderful blessings that have followed.

My prayer for the youth and adults is that they will "Find out who they are." and when they do they shall have it written deeply in their hearts as they set about on their true purpose and may their hearts be filled with peace and love as mine was.

I've Got to Find Out Who I Am

The melody’s familiar,

I’ve heard this song before.

It’s been around the thousand years,

Or maybe even more.

And everybody’s sung it,

At least I think they’ve tried,

But even when the singing’s done

This song goes on inside.

I’ve got to find out who I am  

I’ve got to find out who I am

Got to know. And got to see what’s making me, me

I’ve got to when I do I know I’ll be what I can

When I find out who I am.

I’ll be all I can.

When I find out who I am.

And when I do know

I’ll be what I can.

When I find out who I am.

I’ll be all I can.

When I find out who I am.


Text: Michael McLean

Music: Michael McLean

Arranged By: Bill Evans

Artist: Liz Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment