Saturday, March 23, 2024

Have I Done Any Good Today?

 I was asked to speak about service tomorrow.  I have had many thoughts running through my mind in how the spirit would like me to approach my topic, so here I am writing down my thoughts so I will have clear direction tomorrow.

As I was searching for an address that would start the process, I found myself passing by service talks that had spoken to me years ago, and came across  President Monson's conference address "What Have I Done for Someone Today?"   Given in Oct 2009.   As I read his words the spirit confirmed that his talk would  be the foundation I would build upon.

My first clear thought was a scripture passage in Mosiah 2:17:  "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom, that ye may learn that when you are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."  That night I had a dream of my mother humming the hymn "Have I Done any Good in the World Today."

President Monson spoke about an article he had read, written by Jack McConnell, M.D.   Dr McConnell was raised in southwest Virginia and was one of seven children.  His father was a Methodist minister, and each day as the family sat around their dinner table their father would ask each child, "And what did you do for someone today?"  The children were determined to do good things every day so they could report their good deeds to their father.  Dr McConnell commented that" this exercise was his father's most valuable legacy, for that expectations and those words inspired him and his siblings to help others throughout their lives."

Thought to ponder, "Have I done any good in the world today?"

Dr McConnell had a distinguished medical career; he directed the development of the tuberculosis tine test, participated in the early development of the polio vaccine, supervised the development of Tylenol and was instrumental in developing the MRI.  When he retired he started an organization called Volunteers for Medicine which gives retired professionals the opportunity to volunteer at free clinics where they help the uninsured.  Dr McConnell commented, "that since he retired, his leisure time has "evaporated into 60 hour work weeks of unpaid work, but his energy level has increased and there is a satisfaction in his life that wasn't there before."  He made this statement:  "In one of the paradoxes of life, I have benefited more from Volunteers in Medicine than my patients have."

"Have I helped anyone in need?"

I then found my thoughts taking me to Luke 9:24:  "And whosoever will save his life shall lose it"  but whosoever will lose his life for my sake, the same shall save it."  President Monson commented, "I believe the Savior is telling us that unless we lose ourselves to others, there is little purpose to our own lives.  Those who live only for themselves eventually shrivel up and figuratively lose their lives, while those who lose themselves in service to others grow and flourish--and in effect save their lives."

"There are chances for work all around, Opportunities right in our way"

President Monson then spoke about the conference in which he had been sustained as a member of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles--"President David O'McKay made this statement:  "Man's greatest happiness comes from losing himself for the good of others."

"Only he who does something helps others to live"

President Monson then made this profound comment, "Often we live side by side but do not communicate heart to heart.  There are those around within the sphere of our own influence who, with outstretched hands, cry out, 'Is there no balm in Gilead?"

"Has anyones burdens been lighter today, because I was willing to share?"

President Monson continued with this statement, "I am confident it is the intention of each member of the Church to serve and to help those in need.  At baptism we covenanted to 'bear one another's burdens, that they may be light.' How many times has your heart been touched as you have witnessed the need of another?  How often have you intended to be the one to help?  And yes, how often has day to day living interfered and you've left it for others to help, feeling that 'oh, surely someone will take care of that need."  

"Do not let them pass by saying someday I'll try"

We become so caught in the busyness of our lives.  Were we to step back, however, and take a good look at what we're doing, we may find that we have immersed ourselves in the 'thick of thin things.'  In other words, too often we spend most our  time taking care of the things which do not really matter much at all in the grand scheme of things, neglecting those more important causes."

"When they needed my help was I there?"

President Monson shared one of his favorite poems utilizing the words to "guide his life:"

I have wept in the night

for the shortness of sight

that to somebody's need made me blind

but I never have yet

Felt a tinge of regret

For being a little to Kind

He continued:  "My brothers and sisters, we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort and our kindness-be they family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers.  We are the Lord's hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and lift His children.  He is dependent upon each of us.  You may lament: I can barely make it through each day, doing all the I need to do.  How can I provide service for others?  What can I possibly do?"

"Then wake up and do something more than dream of your mansion above."

President Monson then talked about his upcoming birthday and that the greatest gift the members could give him was the gift of service.  He spoke about all that stepped up to the plate and introduced the  "warm fuzzy jar."   A place where children placed their acts of service.   One child shared how his grandfather had a stroke and he held his hand.  Another shared that his dad was gone for a few weeks for army training and his job was to give his mother hugs and kisses.  One spoke of going to an older ladies house and visited with her and sang a song to her.  He closed with how happy that had made her.  President Monson then spoke about words that had been penned by Elder Richard L Evans of the Quorum of the Twelve:  "It is difficult for those who are young to understand the loneliness that comes when life changes from a time of preparation and performance to a time of putting things away...To be so long the center of a home, so much sought after, and then, almost suddenly to be on the sidelines watching the procession pass by---this is living into loneliness...We have to live a long time to learn how empty a room can be that is filled only with furniture.  It takes someone...beyond mere hired service, beyond institutional care or professional duty, to thaw out the memories of the past and keep them warmly living in the present...We cannot bring them back the morning hours of youth.  But we can help them live in the warm glow of a sunset made more beautiful by out thoughtfulness...and unfeigned love."

"Have the sick and weary been helped on their way?  Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?"

My thoughts then went to Matthew 25:34-40:

"Come ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:  For I was a hungered and ye gave me meat:  I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink:  I was a stranger, and ye took me in:  Naked and ye clothed me:  I was sick, and ye visited me:  I was in prison, and ye came unto me.  Then shall the righteous answer him saying, Lord, when saw thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty and gave thee drink?  When saw we a stranger, and took thee in" or naked and clothed thee?  Or, when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?  And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one the least of these my  brethren, ye have done it unto me."

"When they needed my help was I there?"

President Monson then stated:  "My brothers and sisters, may we ask ourselves the question which greeted Dr Jack McConnell...each evening at dinnertime:  "What have I done for someone today?"  That service to which all of us have been called is the service of the Lord Jesus Christ.  As He enlists us to His cause, He invites us to draw close to Him, He speaks to you and to me:  "Come unto me, all that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest.  Take my yoke upon you and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."  If we truly listen, we may hear that (loving) voice from far away say to us, as it spoke to another, 'Well done, thou good and faithful servant.'  That each (of us) my qualify for this blessing from our Lord is my prayer...in His name, even Jesus Christ, our Savior, amen."

"Doing good is a pleasure a joy beyond measure, a blessing of duty and love."

No comments:

Post a Comment