Saturday, October 2, 2021

Be You

 Last week I was shopping at one of our local stores and I had on one of my tye dye shirts which said:  




I was distracted thinking about who knows what when the sweet young cashier said, "I don't want to be me.  I want to be anyone but me."  Startled from my distracted thoughts I glanced at her saddened by her comment and realizing there was a few customers behind me I replied, "I would love to be rich and live on my own tropical island where I didn't have to deal with people." 

 Not a charitable comment for me to make.  I was frustrated that instead of making a positive comment about being you, I made a mean comment.  Which saddened me because  I allowed ugly world events to take my focus.

Today I have been thinking about that young lady and I'm still saddened that she does not want to be her.  I wish I had shared with her, "There is nothing wrong with you being you.  You have such a beautiful face and smile."  ""Always remember, you are beautiful."
 

I spent most my life trying to become someone other than me.  Compared to others "beautiful ladies" there was me plain and plump.  I remember once hearing a story about a teacher who according to societies definition was plain and drab with no striking features.  But she had a kind heart and a big smile which rolled across her face.  The speaker went on to say that many years later he ran in to this beautiful woman whose smile filled his heart with warmth and whose eyes sparkled.  He noted that she was truly beautiful.  As they visited he was shocked to learn that the beautiful woman standing before him was that plain and drab teacher.  He then made this profound comment,  "As you age the beauty of your heart will reflect on your outer countenance and the hatred or ugliness of your hear in turn will show in your outer countenance.  As I have grown older I have seen the truthfulness of his words.  Woman who society deems beautiful appear haggard and older looking and then plastic looking as they rush to plastic surgery to try and retain the beauty of their by gone youth.  My beloved mother comes to mind at the age of 90 she looked beautiful and years younger than her physical age.  I have in my career come across many like her that grow younger and more beautiful as they age and those who age faster than their physical age.

What I have gleaned from this morning's conference session is that so many do not know who they truly are.  Last week I went to NY.  I was deeply saddened by what I saw and those who were doing their best day to day.  I visited with many and received compliments on my "Be Kind and Blessed" wear.  I smiled at everyone I met and complimented them for who they were and thanked them for the little things that they had done for me to ensure my safety and blessed my life for allowing me to spend time with them.  There was one housekeeper in particular that I wish I would have left a little something.  I don't know why but she truly touched my heart.

Year ago I came across a song by Michel McCLean called:  I've Got to Find Out Who I Am."  His lyrics spoke to me and I found myself giving a talk about finding out who you truly are.  We are all children of a loving Heavenly Father who wants nothing more than to bless us and join with us in each of our successes.  He wants to wipe our tears and comfort us when life is unkind but most of all He wants us to love Him so that He can show us who we truly are.

In closing I would like share Michael's inspired words and may they speak to you as they did me.

I've Got to Find Out Who I Am

Seminary Music: Old Testament

The melody’s familiar,

I’ve heard this song before.

It’s been around the thousand years,

Or maybe even more.

And everybody’s sung it,

At least I think they’ve tried,

But even when the singing’s done

This song goes on inside.

I’ve got to find out who I am  

I’ve got to find out who I am

Got to know. And got to see what’s making me, me

I’ve got to when I do I know I’ll be what I can

When I find out who I am.

I’ll be all I can.

When I find out who I am.

And when I do know

I’ll be what I can.

When I find out who I am.

I’ll be all I can.

When I find out who I am.


Text: Michael McLean

Music: Michael McLean

Arranged By: Bill Evans

Artist: Liz Draper

Topics

individual worthdivine naturechild of Godyouthpotential

No comments:

Post a Comment