Wednesday, October 25, 2023

Are we all not Prodigals?

 

In our recent general conference Elder Uchtdorf talked about the “greatest short story ever told.”  This story was told by Our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ and is found in Luke 15.  The story begins with, “A certain man had two sons.”  Many are familiar with the story where the youngest son leaves and as Elder Uchtdorf points out “In our day he would have #Livingmybestlife! #Neverhappier! #Shouldhavedonelongago!”  But then the youngest son found himself in a well of deep despair when “A famine swept the land, and he ran out of money.”  Quoting Elder Uchtdorf, “As the problem worsened, he panicked.  The once unstoppable, jubilant high roller now could not afford a single meal, let alone a place to stay.  How would he survive?  He had been generous to his friends—would they help him now?...The scriptures tell us, ‘No man gave unto him.”  Like this son I found myself “#Livingmybestlife!” and I found myself in a different type of famine with all my “friends” abandoning me.

We know this young man found his way back to his father who was overjoyed to see him, “placing a robe upon his shoulders, sandals upon his feet and a ring upon his finger. And ordering his servants to prepare a feast…”  But the elder son was not happy with this younger let’s say troublemaker being greeted in such a manner.  As I have been reflecting on this parable my mind went to the parable of the laborers in the vineyard, which is found in Matthew..

Elder Holland gave this address The Laborers in the Vineyard in May 2012.  In this parable The Lord of the household goes out throughout the day looking for day laborers.  He started at 6 in the morning, returned at 9 am, 12 noon and 3 in the afternoon hiring more workers.  He then returned a final time “about the eleventh hour, 5 pm and hired a concluding number.  An hour later he paid all his workers who received “the same wage in spite of the different hours of labor.”

There was significant anger from the first who had “Borne the heat of the day.” And many others who felt there had been an injustice served.  Elder Holland’s first point is that “no one had been treated unfairly…”  He then shared an insight he had received reading this parable, “My friends, I am not being unfair to you.  You agreed on the wage for the day, a good wage.  You were happy to get the work, and I am very happy with the way you served.  You are paid in full.  Take your pay and enjoy the blessing.  As for the others, surely I am free to do what I like with my own money…Why should you be jealous because I chose to be kind?”

I am amazed at the changes and transformations that have been happening in my life.  Some have brought great joy, and some have been painful lessons to help me become softer and kinder.  Throughout my career I have been surrounded by those who are “jealous of another’s good fortune” and then try to tear them down.  I was sadly one who had a jealous streak in which I felt I was very justified in holding onto, but I am learning that I am not “diminished in the least when someone else is added upon.”  Quoting Elder Holland, “We are not in a race against each other to see who is the wealthiest or the most talented or the most beautiful or even the most blessed.  The race we are really in is the race against sin, and surely envy is one of the most universal of those…it is a mistake that just keeps giving. I love his comparison he uses “what a bright prospect that is—downing another quart of pickle juice every time anyone around you has a happy moment!...”

My dear friends, both parables have amazing points we can reflect upon to help us become kinder and better friends.  As we become “more Savior like thee.”  I hope each of you can find the time to sit down and read the inspired words from both these great men and the parables which inspired them.

 

Elder Uchtdorf The Prodigal and the Road that Leads Home

Luke15

Elder Hollland The Laborers in the Vineyard

Matthew 20

No comments:

Post a Comment